Italy is best known for its fascinating art, beautiful structures, and delicious cuisine, but there are many other interesting things about Italy that people may not know. Curious? Check out our list of 15 interesting facts about Italy!
1. Italy’s Nickname is Bel Paese which means beautiful country.
2. 90% of people in Italy are Christian or Roman Catholic.
3. Italians don’t use a spoon when eating spaghetti.
4. Ice-cream (gelato) is an Italian invention.
5. So is pizza. It was invented in Napoli in the late 1800s
6. The Italian Flag represents three virtues: Green=Hope, White= Faith, and Red= Charity
7. There are over 200 different pasta shapes.
8. Leonardo da Vinci was the first to prove the world is round, not flat.
9. In the Second World War, Italy sided with Nazi Germany.
10. Italy has the most volcanos compared to any other European country.
11. The author who wrote Pinocchio, Carlo Collodi was Italian.
12. Between 1861 & 1985, more than 26 million people left Italy for a better life.
13. Tourism in Italy provides approximately 63% of their national income.
14. Because Italy’s birthrate is the second lowest in the world, political and church leaders offer rewards to couples who have more than one child.
15. There is a fountain in central Italy (Abruzzo) that flows free red wine 24/7.
Do you know any other fun & interesting facts about Italy? Let us know in the comments!