Italian ricotta cookies definitely bring back memories for many Italian-Americans. They are often enjoyed during Christmastime and are definitely one of the simplest Italian cookies to make! They are soft with a delicious vanilla flavor and the icing adds the perfect amount of sweetness. The sprinkles add the perfect touch and can be changed to any color you would like! Green and red are often used during Christmastime, but you can use red and pink for Valentine’s Day, yellow for Easter, and pale pink or blue for baby showers! These cookies are perfect for just about any occasion!
Recipe yields 5 dozen cookies
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- sprinkles for decorating
- Cream butter; add sugar. Continue to cream. Add each egg, one by one, then add Ricotta and vanilla. Beat ingredients until smooth. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to batter.
- Drop about a teaspoon of dough on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 11 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Let cookies cool completely before icing.
- Mix icing ingredients well. Using a teaspoon, lightly coat each cookie with the icing then add sprinkles!
- Main Image Background: Calum Lewis on Unsplash