There are several Italian food rules about what can be eaten and how it should be eaten. Be sure to follow these rules when dining in Italy!
1. NEVER ask for “Fettuccine Alfredo” or “Pasta with Meatballs”
These foods simply do not exist in Italy.
2. Take your time eating.
Italians like to take their time and enjoy their food.
3. Only drink water or wine with your meal.
In other countries including America, many individuals drink liquor and cocktails with their dinner. In Italy, these types of drinks should only be consumed as aperitivi (before-dinner drinks) and digestivi (after dinner drinks). Drinking only water or wine with dinner helps bring out the flavors of the meal.
4. Do not order a cappuccino or caffé latte after midday
Instead, order an espresso after midday. Cappuccino and caffe latte are considered breakfast drinks!
5. Never order your salad first. It should always be eaten last.
Salads are eaten last in Italy unlike in America. They help act as a palate cleanser and help aid in digestion.
6. If you’re sick, be sure to eat colorless foods.
Americans generally think of Chicken Noodle Soup and crackers as foods that should be eaten when sick. In Italy, people practice ‘mangiare in bianco‘ or eating white. They eat pasta without the sauce and plain risotto when sick.