Similar to struffoli, pignolata is a sweet dessert that has originated from Calabria and also Messina. They are enjoyed around the holidays by many Italians and with this easy to follow recipe you can enjoy them too!
- 170 g of flour
- 20 ml of oil
- 50 g of sugar
- 1 egg
- a pinch of salt
- 4 g of yeast
- rind of a lemon
- half a glass of limoncello
- seed oil for frying as needed
- honey to taste
- colored sprinkles to taste
1. Mix all the powdered ingredients in a bowl. Add the egg, oil and limoncello a little at a time.
2. Knead until the dough is compact. Let it rest for half an hour.
3. Form strips with the dough and cut the latter into small pieces and fry them in hot oil.
4. When they are all cooked, begin to warm the honey in a bowl and then pour them inside the pignolata and add the colored sprinkles on top
What are some of your favourite calabrese or Italian desserts around the holidays? Share your suggestions and recipes below in the comment section.
Main Photo and Recipe by blog.giallozafferano.it
Video by Spaghetti al Sugo