If you are celebrating the Epiphany today, then I hope la Befana was good to you! In tribute to la Befana, check out this easy and traditional shortbread biscotti recipe that us Italians like to call Befanini.
- 4 Cups of Flour
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Cup of Softened Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Milk
- The Zest of 1 Lemon
- 5 Eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 2 Tablespoons of Rum
- Colored Sprinkles for Decoration
- Mix the sugar and eggs until it becomes thickened.
- Add in the flour, butter, milk, salt, baking powder, lemon zest and rum.
- Combine all ingredients until you get a smooth dough.
- Let the dough sit in the fridge for about 40 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and start rolling out the dough.
- Cut dough into various shapes of your choice using cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on a floured and buttered baking sheet and brush them with some egg yolk.
- Sprinkle the cookies and bake them for 15 minutes.
- Let them cook completely and enjoy!
How are you celebrating la Befana today? Let us know in the comments below.
Main Photo by Needpix.com