As carnevale is soon approaching, Italian’s are preparing their favourite traditional desserts and dishes to celebrate before the restrictions of Lent. Castagnole are the perfect sweet treat to celebrate with! Check out this recipe below.
Ingredients for Dough:
- 1 Kg of Boiled Potatoes
- 700 Grams of Flour
- 40 Grams of Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 1 Cube of Brewer’s Yeast
- 100 Ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- The Zest of 1 Lemon
- A Pinch of Salt
- Oil for Frying
Ingredients for Cream:
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 250 Ml of Milk
- 70 Grams of Sugar
- 25 Grams of Cornstarch
- 1 Sachet of Vanillina or 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Peel the skin off the boiled potatoes and mash them until you get a smooth texture.
- Pour your flour into a mixing bowl and add the mashed potatoes, eggs, lemon zest, sugar, salt, yeast and olive oil.
- Mix and knead all of the ingredients until you get a smooth dougg.
- Create a ball with the dough and place in a floured bowl. Cover the bowl and leave it at room temperature for 1 hour to let the dough rise.
- Once the dough has rose, create little balls and fry them until they are golden brown.
- To get rid of excess oil, place the castagnole on paper towel.
- While still warm, cover the castagnole in sugar until they are completely covered.
- Fill the inside of the castagnole with cream by making a small whole in each castagnole.
- Serve and enjoy!
What are some traditional desserts your family makes around this time of year? Share your recipes in the comment section! We’d love to hear them.
Main Photo and Video by le ricette della nonna