Vincotto means cooked wine and that’s exactly what it is! Originating from places such as Emilia Romagna, Veneto, Lombardy, Puglia and Marche, this sweet dark paste can be used for many desserts! Check out Rossella’s recipe for a sweet and delicious vincotto ciambella.
Ingredients for Ciambella:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Fig or Grape Vincotto
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Fig or Grape Vincotto
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Optional: chopped almonds for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a Bundt pan with baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs and sugar and mix on medium speed with an electric mixer.
- Add in the vincotto, milk and oil and mix well.
- Add in the flour and baking powder and mix until just absorbed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes. Cool before glazing.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the melted butter, cocoa, vincotto and brown sugar. Whisk together until smooth.
- Pour over cooked cake and top with chopped almonds.
What do you like to eat with vincotto? Share your suggestions in the comments!
Main Photo and Video by Rossella’s Cooking with Nonna