With Easter right around the corner and all this free time we have, lets start with the best part about Easter… the desserts of course! It’s okay to start a little bit early. These cookies are a staple in every Calabrese home around Easter time and you can learn how to make them too! Check out the recipe by Vincenzo’s Plate below!
- 12 Organic Eggs
- 1 Cup of White Sugar
- 1 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1 kg of Self-Rising Flour
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tbs of Vanilla Extract
1. Start by pre-heating the oven to 180C/350F.
2. Crack 5 eggs into the bowl and whisk well.
3. Add sugar, milk, oil, vanilla extract and the zest of 1 whole lemon.
4. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze all the juice into the bowl.
5. Mix this base of your Italian Easter cookies really well using the whisk.
6. Next, a cup full at a time, sift in the self raising flour. Once you have added approx. ¾ of the flour, mix using a spatula.
7. If the mixture is very sticky, gradually add and mix through more flour.
8. When you are happy with the consistency of the Italian Easter cookie dough, sprinkle flour on to your bench/board and place the dough on to it.
9. Start kneading the dough, adding a sprinkle of flour when you need to.
10. Knead the dough for around 5 minutes or until it is no longer sticking to the board.
11. Now roll it out into a really thick log, cutting it in half if easier to manage.
12. Before you start rolling out the Italian Easter Cookies, wash the remaining eggs well as they will be used in your biscuits.
13. Using a knife, cut a small piece of dough from the large log and roll it out.
14.Get an egg, place it underneath the small log you rolled, in the middle.
15.Wrap the pastry dough underneath the egg until it crosses over, then twist the rest, curling the ends up.
16. Put a small slit in the ends using a knife or fork, then roll out two smaller snake shapes and create a cross on top of the egg.
17.You can also create another shape, twisting an entire log and then wrapping this around an egg.
18. Place each biscuit onto a lined baking tray – not too close together as they rise and baste lightly with plain milk using a pastry brush.Put the tray of Italian Easter cookies in the oven for 20 minutes, then check on them, turn the tray around (if necessary) to cook evenly and leave for another 5-6 minutes
19. The biscuits should start to turn a nice golden colour but not all over – don’t overcook them or they will dry out.
What is your favourtie dessert around Easter time? Share some recipes below in the comments.
Main Photo and Video by Vincenzo’s Plate