Who is ready for la Befana to come tonight? Let’s hope she brings only good things and not coal!
While any type of dessert is fitting to celebrate la Befana, this simple and quick torta dei re magi (cake of the 3 kings) is the perfect traditional after dinner dessert.
The tradition of this cake is that only 1 piece of chocolate is to be found inside and whoever finds it is the lucky one! However, the more chocolate the better, right?
Check out the recipe and follow along below!
- 2 Round Puff Pastry Sheets
- 75g of Butter (at room temperature)
- 70g of Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg + 1 for Brushing
- 100g of Almond Flour
- 25g Flour or Corn Starch
- 300g Pastry cream
- Pieces of Chocolate
- Start by mixing the butter, icing sugar and egg together until you get a smooth texture.
- Add in the almond flour and continue mixing until everything is combined.
- Then add your regular flour (or corn starch) and mix all together.
- Add in your pastry cream or custard and combine until you get a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Roll out one of your puff pastry sheets and brush the border of it with a little water.
- Add your cream mixture into the center of the puff pastry and spread it out evenly
- Place as many chocolate pieces as you would like on top of the cream, then place your second puff pastry sheet on top
- Pinch the pastry around the edges of the cream to secure it and create a design for the crust of the cake.
- Brush the top with the egg.
- Gently carve designs on the top of the cake.
- Bake for 30 minutes on 200° (Until top goldens)
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Do you celebrate la Befana? What are some traditions you follow? Let us know in the comments below!
[Tutti a Tavola]