- Yield: 3 dozen cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (Yes, really. These guys will puff up. And they are supposed to be airy, almost like a biscuit, but not quite.)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- Glaze Ingredients:* 1 cup powdered sugar
- Milk (eyeball it, no specific measurement, you choose your consistency)
- Colored sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Beat together butter and sugar until creamy.
- Stir in anise and lemon
- Add eggs. Blend.
- Add dry ingredients – blend together.
- The dough should be almost crumbly, but when you roll it in your hand it stays together.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. (Try not to get much bigger than 1 inch)
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool and glaze.