Recipe adapted from GarlicGirl.com
Cheesecake Italian style! As most Italians know, Ricotta is a cheese that is particularly very popular in Sicily. So it makes sense for the Sicilian recipe to be the most delicious! This classic desert tastes great over espresso and is always a hit at family gatherings and Sunday dinners.
- Serves: 8
- 32 Ounces of drained ricotta cheese
- 1 Orange (for 2 teaspoons orange zest/grated rind)
- ⅓ Cup flour
- 1 Cup sugar
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 Graham crackers (2 packets from a 14 oz box)
- Stick of butter
- Barley flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees.
- Grease a 10 inch springform pan with butter.
- For the crust, crush graham crackers in food processor (or place in zip lock and use a rolling pin) until bread crumbs are consistent. Stir with melted butter until mixture holds shape when squeezed.
- Press graham cracker crust into bottom and along bottom sides of spring form pan. Set aside.
- Sift together flour and sugar in small mixing bowl.
- Stir together ricotta cheese and orange zest in a medium sized bowl. Slowly fold in flour mixture with spatula until well blended and smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, continuing to blend with spatula. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour batter into spring form pan and gently smooth top with spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour, until cake is firm all the way to top center. Cool completely and refrigerate for a few hours prior to eating.