Baccala is an Italian favorite, but have you ever made it in a salad? Here is a recipe for Insalata Di Baccala (Baccala Salad). Give it a try and let us know your thoughts! Feel free to share variations and family recipes.
- Serves about 6-8
- 1lb Salt Cod
- 4 c. cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp. Capers – rinsed
- 3/4 c. Peperoncini – chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 1 c. Black Olives
- 1/2 c. Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 Fresh Lemon
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 qt. water
- 1 c. White wine
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 Bay leaves
- Several lemon slices
For the fish
- Soak in cold water for a 1-2 days
- After Cod is ready, boil the ingredients for poaching.
- Drop the fish into the pan and reduce heat to medium.
- Let simmer for 5-10 minutes (until fish is tender) and pull apart.
- Remove fish and let cool.
- Cut fish into 2 inch pieces and remove any bones (if any). Set aside in a bowl.
For the Cauliflower
- Cut cauliflower into small pieces.
- Sprinkle olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Roast at 350 degrees for 10/15 minutes
- Mix together capers, peperoncini, parsley, garlic, and olives together in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix olive oil, lemon, and salt & pepper.
- Toss all ingredients together and let chill. Add seasoning to taste after completion.