Panna Cotta is Italian for “cooked cream”. It is a traditional Italian dessert that is deliciously sweet and creamy as it is made with sweetened cream that is thickened with gelatin. This amazing no-bake dessert only requires 30 minutes to prepare! This recipe is garnished with bright red, delicious strawberries and can be molded with heart-shaped porcelain ramekins which makes it the perfect Valentine’s day dessert!
- 1 pound fresh strawberries trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
For Strawberry Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Puree strawberries until very creamy and smooth.
- Strain strawberries through a sieve to remove seeds or remove seeds off the top with a spoon. Place 6 porcelain ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Pour milk into a large saucepan and sprinkle in gelatin powder and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, and pureed strawberries into the gelatin. Heat mixture for 3 minutes on high until it reaches 135°F. Add in vanilla and heavy cream while continuously stirring.
- Fill a large bowl full of ice. Place a medium sized bowl inside the iced filled bowl and pour gelatin mix in. Stir mix often for 10 minutes until it cools.
- Transfer gelatin into a large pitcher and pour mixture into the six porcelain ramekins placed on a baking sheet. ( For Valentine’s day you can pour into heart shaped porcelain ramekins!) Cover a baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-5 hours.
- To unmold, dip molds into a bowl of hot water and invert onto a plate. Garnish with strawberries or any fruit of your choice!
For Strawberry Sauce
- Add thawed strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a mixer, mix thoroughly.
- Filter sauce in a sieve to remove seeds. Pour mixture into a pan over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- When it comes to a boil, add in dissolved cornstarch and water mix. To thicken, remove from heat. Pour over Panna Cotta.
Main Image: Pixabay