Prosciutto and Spinach Arancini (Rice Balls) Recipe
- 1 litre Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 slices prosciutto, finely chopped
- 50g baby spinach, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 80g mozzarella cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Start bt letting stock simmer on a medium saucepan over medium heat. Next, reduce heat to low.
- In a large heavy-based saucepan heat olive oil over. Then add onion and garlic. Cook, and stir for 5 minutes or until softened. Next, add prosciutto. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Add in rice. Stir to coat in mixture. Cook for 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup hot stock. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock, in batches, until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Add parmesan and spinach. Stir until spinach has wilted. Season with pepper. Set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate for some 2 to 3 hours or until cool.
- Place flour rice balls on a plate. Place egg in a bowl. Place breadcrumbs on a plate. Using wet hands, roll 1 tablespoon risotto mixture into a ball. Using your thumb, make an indent in the center of the f ball. Place 1 piece of mozzarella in indent. Shape risotto mixture around cheese to enclose. Repeat with remaining risotto mixture and mozzarella.
- Dip ball flour, then egg and breadcrumbs. Place ball on a tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with remaining balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. let vegetable oil get hot. Cook arancini, in batches, turning, for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden. Drain. Cover with foil to keep warm. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe adapted from Taste.com