Being Italian is not just an ethnicity, it’s an entire way of life. If you grew up in an Italian household, you likely experienced things that are very unique. For example, you and your cousins most likely sat at the “kid’s table” during family dinners. You were allowed to drink wine at a young age and often times it was mixed with 7 Up. All of these memories are part of your Italian-American culture and they should be cherished and reflected on! Take a trip down memory lane and read these 20 signs that you grew up in an Italian household!
1. You had a hutch full of dishes you couldn’t touch.
2. If you’re a girl you had these. If you’re a boy your sister or girl cousins did.
3. You had to sit at the “kid’s table” for YEARS.
4. You got hit by the wooden spoon… MANY TIMES
5. This was your go-to taste test from birth.
6. You were always allowed to have a little vino mixed with 7 Up.
7. You knew you were in trouble when your mother said your first and middle name.
8. One of your uncles or your Nonno played the accordion.
9. Walking into someone’s home empty-handed was forbidden.
10. Guests always came through the back door.
11. The bathroom towels were for decoration only” so you could never use them.
12. Your family never wanted you to move out.
13. You were told to drink this every time you got sick.
14. Cheek kissing was the norm in your home.
15. You had salami and prosciutto sandwiches at lunch while your classmates had PB & J.
16. Pastina was considered Italian penicillin in your home.
18. You wouldn’t be caught dead at Olive Garden.
19. You had a gold bracelet before you could even walk.
20. Hats always came off at the dinner table.
- Main Image Photo Credit: Danielle Nichole Photography