Whether you grate it over your pasta or eat it in pieces, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese has been a staple in many Italian dishes for centuries. In honour of National Cheese Day, let’s countdown 8 interesting facts about this flavourful cheese.
1. Parmigiano tastes better with age.
2. It is very high in protein, vitamin and minerals.
3. Each wheel of Parmesan is sealed with either a 18, 22, or 30 month seal to indicate the aging process.
4. It is lactose free!
5. Parmigiano Reggiano is named after Parma, Italy & Reggio Emilia, Italy where it is produced.
6. Because the name parmeasan is protected, (only refers to Parmigiano Reggiano which is manufactured in a small area in northern Italy) Kraft had to change the name if it’s “parmesaen” cheese to “pamesello”
7. Parmigiano Reggiano is often compared to Grana Padano (which is also delicious).
8. Nasa packs Parmigiano Reggiano for the astronauts to eat in space.
Curious how Parmigiano is made? Check out this video!
Do you know any more interesting facts about Parmigiano? What are your thoughts on this decadent cheese? Let us know in the comments!
Main Photo by Pixabay
Video by The Travel Bite on Youtube