Don’t let the name of this cake fool you. Zuccotto may look like a complicated word, but it simply means little pumpkin in Italian. This refers to the shape of the cake. Zuccotto is prepared similar to tiramisu and makes for the perfect dessert for any occasion.
Ingredients for Cream:
- 350ml of Fresh Cream
- 350g of Mascarpone
- 50g of Icing Sugar
- 100g of Condensed Milk
- 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp of Instant Coffee
- 1/2 Cup of Espresso
- Sponge Cake (can be store-bought)
- In a large bowl add the cream, mascarpone, icing sugar, condensed milk and vanilla extract and mix all together using an electric mixer until smooth and firm.
- Split the mixture into two separate bowls.
- Add the instant coffee to the espresso and stir until dissolved. Add this into one of the bowls of cream and mix well.
- Place both bowls into the fridge.
- Cut the sponge cake into strips.
- Use a 20cm diameter mold or bowl and line with plastic wrap.
- Coat the bowl with the slices of spongecake until the bowl is all covered.
- Mositen the cake with a little espresso then add the white cream and spread evenly.
- Create another layer of the sponge cake, moisten with espresso and add the coffee cream. (Save some coffee cream for the topping)
- Close the cake with the sponge cake, wrap with plastic wrap and let it is sit in the fridge for 8 hours.
- After the cake has rested, turn it on a tray or serving plate and evenly spread the left over coffee cream until the zuccotto is covered.
- Crush up and sprinkle some meringues all over the zuccotto.
- Get the espresso ready and serve!
Main Photo and Recipe by Fatto in Casa da Benedetta