For this recipe, the maritozzi will be filled with fresh strawberries and cream however, you can totally skip the cream and go with Nutella instead! (We’ll understand). Get the recipe below!
Ingredients for Preparing Yeast:
- 100g of Milk (Heated)
- 50gr White or Brown sugar
- 1 Tsp of Fresh Brewer’s Yeast
- 50g of 00 Flour
Ingredients for Dough:
(For 12 maritozzi)
- 100g of White or Brown Sugar
- The Zest of One Lemon
- 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 50g of Sunflower Oil
- 1 Whole Egg (at room tempurate)
- 100g of Milk (Heated)
- 275g of 00 Flour
- 275g flour 0 (also called Manitoba Flour)
- 1 Tsp of Sunflower Oil to Grease Bowl
- 2 Tbps of Milk (For brushing)
- 1 Whole egg (For brushing)
Ingredients for Cream Filling:
- 500ml of Unsweetened Fresh Liquid Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbps of Vanilla Icing Sugar
- 300g Of Fresh Strawberries
- Heat the 100g of milk and add in a bowl with 50g of sugar, 1 tsp of fresh brewers yeast, and 50g of 00 flour. Mix all together, cover, and let this sit while we prepare the other ingredients for the dough.
- In a large bowl, add 100g of sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract, sunflower oil, egg, and heated milk. Mix all ingredients together
- In a separate bowl, mix the 00 flour and 0 flour together.
- Add your yeast mixture to your wet ingredients and mix well.
- Slowly add your flour and incorporate all ingredients. If needed, work the mixture with your hands to better mix all ingredients together.
- Let the dough sit and rise for about 2 hours.
- When the dough is done rising, place parchment paper on your pans and gently work the dough into a ball.
- Create little balls of dough of about 80g and work the dough balls into almond shapes.
- Place all uncooked maritozzi on your pans and let them sit for one more hour to rise.
- Mix 2 tbsps of milk and 1 egg together and brush all of the maritozzi and place them in the oven at 180°C for 16-18 minutes.
- Prepare the cream filling by mixing the whipping cream and sugar with a hand mixer until you get a light and fluffy consistency.
- When the maritozzi are cooked and cooled, cut them in half while leaving the bottom of them still attached. Add your cream inside along with the cut strawberries.
- Sprinkle a little icing sugar on top of the maritozzi and they are ready to eat!
How do you prefer your maritozzi? With cream and fruit, or with a bunch of Nutella? Let us know in the coments below.
Main Photo & Recipe by [CaroDiario]