This is my simplified version of eggplant caponata which traditionally includes bell peppers, celery and olives. I find this to be equally flavorful while requiring less product for an easy snack!
- 1 Eggplant
- 1-2 tablespoons capers
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes
- Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Grill eggplant until tender, slice into cubes.
- Sautee capers, garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil. Note: Amount of red pepper flakes is up to you, depending on how spicy you like it.
- Add eggplant and can of tomato sauce and stew on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add salt to taste. Note: Capers are salty! Taste test before adding salt and again before serving.
- Serve on crostini or with pasta!