If you’ve ever been to Italy in the summer then you know grabbing some granita is a must to keep cool! Granita is like an Italian snow cone but without all of the garbage syrups – it’s made with actual fruit! Some of my favorite combinations are watermelon and lime, strawberry and lemon, peach and blueberry… the possibilities are endless! Learn how to make any flavor granita with this simple recipe!
- 4 cups (about 1-2 lbs) cubed fruit
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed citrus juice (lime, lemon, orange or grapefruit) + 1 tsp zest
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a blender, place fruit, juice, sugar and salt and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture in a rimmed sheet tray making sure it isn’t more than 1/2 inch deep and freeze for 30-45 minutes.
- Pull tray out of the freezer and scrape mixture with a fork. Do this every 30 minutes for 4-5 hours, placing tray back in the freezer each time, until you get a flaky texture.
- Serve in a bowl with fruit, citrus zest or by itself!