I love fried eggplant soooo much! The other day while making stuffed fried zucchini flowers, I decided to try adding the ingredients to eggplant and breading them. I sliced the eggplant into discs, put a piece of mozzarella on top of each and wrapped a piece of prosciutto around like a perfect little package. I breaded and fried them and OMG they are amazing! These could definitely be served as a meal with salad, they are quite filling! I hope you enjoy my new favorite treat!
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch thick discs
- Fresh mozzarella sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch discs
- 1/4 lb Prosciutto
- 2 cups AP flour
- 4 eggs, beaten with 1 spoonful of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (I seasoned mine with red pepper flakes and oregano)
- Sea salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Heat up vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or dutch oven.
- Create your breading station. From left to right it should be flour, eggs, breadcrumbs.
- Assemble your eggplant by placing a slice of mozzarella on top of the eggplant disc and wrapping a piece of prosciutto around (see above photo).
- Coat eggplant completely in flour, submerge in egg mixture and then coat completely in breadcrumbs.
- When oil is hot enough (medium heat), place 1-2 eggplant slices in at a time and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Salt while hot and serve.