Making gelato at home is easier than you think! This recipe requires the use of any ice cream machine and also the addition of dextrose. Dextrose is a natural grape sugar that helps keep gelato smooth and is less sweet than cane sugar. It can be purchased online here and sometimes you can find it at GNC and vitamin stores. This recipe makes 1 1/2 quarts of gelato.
- 100 g mint leaves
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons dextrose powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 8 oz mini chocolate chips
- Blanch mint leaves by submerging in a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds. Immediately transfer mint to an ice water bath and allow to cool completely. Drain and gently squeeze leaves in paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- Puree mint in a blender with 1 cup of milk until combined.
- Strain mixture with a mesh strainer and discard solid material.
- Add 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of milk to the mixture plus egg yolks, sugar, cream, condensed milk, milk powder, dextrose, honey and salt. Puree ingredients in the blender and then add the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate in a covered container for atleast 6 hours or overnight.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream machine and follow manufacturers instructions.
- Store gelato in an airtight container and place parchment paper directly on top of the gelato mixture to prevent freezer burn, then cover with the lid.
- Freeze for 4 hours and serve. (Store in the freezer for up to a week).