What better way to enjoy grappa than as a frozen dessert?! This boozy treat is inspired by a strawberry grappa I had at the famous Il Molino restaurant. It was served so cold with fresh strawberries I thought it would be the perfect sorbetto. Top it off with a shot of grappa and a lemon peel for garnish.
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, each sliced in half
- 1 oz grappa
- Slice a strip of the lemon peel and set it aside. Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a bowl.
- In a saucepan, add the sugar, water and the lemon peel. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the strawberries and cover the pan, let the strawberries cook down until they’re tender (10-15 minutes) uncover every few minutes and stir to make sure they aren’t sticking.
- Remove from heat and toss the lemon peel. Remove the strawberries and puree them in a blender.
- Add the grappa, lemon juice and the syrup to the blender and mix until smooth. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream machine and follow manufacturers instructions.
- Put sorbetto into an airtight container and store in the freezer covered for up to a week.
- Temper sorbetto before serving. You can serve a scoop with a shot of grappa and a lemon peel for garnish!