These candy apples incorporate Nutella for a twist on the classic fall treat. The Nutella/caramel mixture also makes a great apple dip! Use your imagination for the toppings – I like to use chopped hazelnuts, sprinkles and chocolate chips. This is a fun activity for kids around Halloween!
- 6 apples
- 6 wooden skewers
- 10 oz baking caramels
- 1 cup of Nutella or your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Optional: Chopped hazelnuts, chocolate chips, chopped peanuts, sprinkles, etc.
- Cooking spray, baking tray, parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Clean apples and remove their stems.
- Insert a skewer into the tops of each apple.
- Line the baking trays with parchment paper or silicone mats, set aside.
- In a sauce pan on the stove or a microwave safe bowl in the microwave, melt the caramel, milk and Nutella together. Stir continuously and do not let the mixture burn. Note: If you are using a microwave, melt mixture in 30 second increments, stirring in between.
- When the mixture is melted and well combined, dip each apple in to fully coat. Sprinkle with the optional toppings and place on the prepared baking trays.
- Once completed, place trays in the fridge to let the caramel and Nutella mixture set for atleast an hour.