This creamy sausage and peas cannelloni recipe makes a great fall dinner! I went light on the cream because it already has a lot of cheese and I don’t like it too rich. If you want to make it heavier, you could always use more cream and butter and make a full on besciamella sauce. I used oven-ready cannelloni to make this recipe faster and easier! This recipe serves 3-4 people and is great served with a full-bodied white wine.
- Cannelloni (enough tubes for a 8×12 dish)
- 1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage
- 8 oz sweet peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 stick of unsalted butter
- Ricotta as needed
- Mozzarella for garnish
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- If cannelloni is oven ready, use it raw otherwise, in a pot of salted, boiling water, cook cannelloni until about 2-3 minutes before al dente. Note: 2-3 minutes before instructions suggest for al dente. Pasta should be firm, this will ensure the pasta does not overcook in the oven.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, saute garlic until aromatic (30 seconds) then add Italian sausage. Cook all the way through and then add peas. Stir to combine and salt to taste.
- Fill the centers of the cannelloni with ricotta and the ends with the sausage and peas. Arrange filled cannelloni in the baking dish.
- Add the cream and butter to the remaining sausage and peas in the pan. Stir to combine. allowing the butter to melt and pour over the arranged cannelloni.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and fresh ground black pepper over the cannelloni. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese is browned and bubbly.