This is one of my absolute favorite meals on a cold day, I crave this dish! Creamy polenta is so savory and soothing and mushrooms are a great alternative to meat. You could add tomato sauce to the mushrooms with breadcrumbs if you like as well! This recipe makes enough for two servings and takes about 20 minutes to prepare. Serve it with a Barbera wine and salad for a complete meal.
- 1/2 cup polenta corn grits
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-3 cups chopped cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: fresh parsley, chopped
- In a saucepan, bring the water up to a boil. Add about 1 tsp of salt.
- When water is boiling, whisk in the polenta slowly so that it doesn’t clump. Stir frequently.
- After about 10 minutes, whisk in butter. Continue stirring.
- Meanwhile, saute garlic and onions in olive oil and add the chopped mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Polenta should be perfectly cooked after about 20 minutes, add Parmigiano and stir to combine. Add salt to taste.
- Pour polenta in a bowl and plate the sauteed mushrooms on top. Garnish with black pepper, Parmigiano and parsley (if desired).