It is a very cold day today so I decided to make a hearty vegetable and bean soup. The base of this soup is chicken broth and fire-roasted tomatoes which adds a wonderful smokey flavor. Garnish this soup with lots of Parmigiano and serve with crusty bread for dipping!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can or 1 lb fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano as needed
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Pour chicken broth and fire-roasted tomatoes into a saucepan or stockpot.
- Next add the chickpeas, cannellini beans, carrot, garlic, celery and shallot and bring up to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and let cook for about 20-30 minutes or until vegetables and beans are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with Parmigiano as needed.