These super moist, sweet potato pie cupcakes are the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving! They are incredibly easy to make and so delicious. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 15 oz sweet potato puree (fresh or canned)
- 1/4 cup apple cider
For the frosting:
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Whisk together the spice cake mix, sweet potato puree and apple cider until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into a greased or lined muffin tray about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake until cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in middle of a cupcake comes out clean (about 20 minutes). Remove and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by beating the mascarpone in a bowl using a hand or stand mixer.
- While beating, add the almond and vanilla extracts followed by the powdered sugar. Slowly add the whipping cream until the frosting becomes light and fluffy (about 1-3 minutes). Note: Do not over-mix or else the frosting will curdle.
- Spread frosting over cupcakes and serve.