This super yummy, super creamy, cheesy mac n cheese is topped with crispy pancetta! You can sub out the cheeses for Italian cheeses if you like, but goat cheese and gruyere are creamy and flavorful. Cook the pasta just before al dente so that it doesn’t over cook when you add the cheese. The best part about this recipe is that it’s made in one pot! This recipe by Tasting Table serves 2-4 people.
- 1/2 lb diced pancetta
- 3 tablespoons ap flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 lb shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 lb cavatappi, cooked just before al dente
- Salt to taste
- In a large saucepan or deep wide skillet, brown ½ pound of diced pancetta. Once crisp, scoop out using a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the rendered fat in the pan. Ideally, there should be about 3 tablespoons of fat for the roux (if you feel it needs more, add a little butter and melt).
- Add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and whisk to combine. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in 2 cups of whole milk and 1 cup of heavy cream. Season with salt to taste and add ½ teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg. Stir constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in 4 ounces of goat cheese and 1 pound of shredded Gruyère cheese, then stir until the cheese melts and becomes a silky sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Add 1 pound of cooked cavatappi pasta and stir to coat. Serve garnished with the reserved crispy pancetta.