Nino Cerruti is an Italian stylist, designer, and businessman who founded his own haute couture house called Cerruti. He is one of the most successful men in the Italian fashion industry. Here are 15 facts about Nino Cerruti.
Photo by Alvin Mahmudov on Unsplash
- He was born in Biella, Italy, on September 25, 1930.
- His grandfather founded a textile mill in 1881 called ‘Lanificio Fratelli Cerutti’ which he manages.
- Cerruti began producing clothes in the late 1950s.
- In 1957, he showed his first men’s collection called ‘Hitman’.
- He didn’t launch a womenswear range until 1967.
- Cerruti opened his first boutique in 1967. It was on Place de la Madeleine in Paris.
- Over several years, he developed a fusion line called ‘Cerruti 1881’, inspired by the year in which his family opened a textile mill.
- The brand first produced a fragrance in 1978.
- Cerruti started to collaborate with cinema during the 1980s. Some of the movies for which the brand designed clothes included ‘Pretty Woman’, ‘Basic Instinct’, and ‘Bonnie and Clyde’.
- Cerruti has designed clothes for actors including Jack Nicholson, Bruce Willis, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford, and Sharon Stone.
- Cerruti was the official designer of Scuderia Ferrari in 1994.
- Giorgio Armani and Narciso Rodriguez have both worked for Cerruti.
- Nino Cerruti sold 51% of the company to Fin Part in 2000 so they could secure global expansion of the brand.
- Although he finally sold the company to MatlinPatterson in 2005, Cerruti is still invited to the fashion shows and he usually attends.