Frank Sinatra is one of the most famous Italian-Americans of all time. While most people are aware of his musical success, there are many other interesting facts about this legend’s life. Here are ten things you might not know about Frank Sinatra.
- It is little wonder that Sinatra’s mother needed the assistance of forceps when she gave birth to him at home on December 12, 1915; he weighed a whopping 13.5lb.
- The forceps delivery and acne as a teen left Sinatra with scars. For this reason, he regularly wore makeup to improve his appearance.
- In the humble beginnings of this musical superstar’s career, he would carry around his own PA system.
- In 1938, Frank Sinatra was charged with seduction; a charge that was later reduced to adultery and then dropped altogether. The mugshot taken by the police reinforced his bad boy image at that time.
- Although he achieved great success in his career, this did not mean that Sinatra had a happy life. IN fact, he attempted suicide several times.
- Sinatra is commonly referred to as being part of ‘The Rat Pack’. This group included Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Dean Martin
andJoey Bishop. However, they did not call themselves this as they used the name, ‘The Summit’. It was Lauren Bacall who used the name ‘The Rat Pack’ to describe a drinking circle who included both Sinatra and Bacall’s herhusband at the time, Humphrey Bogart.
- Sinatra was given the nickname ‘One-Take Charlie’ in Hollywood. This was referred
tohis approach to film roles. He preferred to act spontaneously rather than over-rehearsing his roles.
- One of Sinatra’s biggest and best-known hits is ‘New York, New York’. However, he had two hits with songs with this title. The first was in 1949 with a song from a film called ‘On the Town’. The song that became his signature tune was written by Martin Scorsese and was a hit for Sinatra in 1977.
- Frank Sinatra once admitted that he was not a fan of one of his biggest hits, ‘My Way’. Despite the star’s dislike of the song, it has been covered by over 60 singers. Another interesting fact relating to this song is that since 2000, over a dozen people have been murdered while performing this song or just after their performance. For this reason, many bar owners have removed it from their play list.
- While he is best-known for his music, Sinatra also had other business ventures over the years. One of these was his own range of pasta sauces which he launched in 1990. Unfortunately, the sauce was a flop as it failed to tickle the taste buds of consumers.
- Main Image: Frank Sinatra [Wiki]