Springtime in Italy means that fava beans are in season and so they are usually enjoyed in salads, as a side dish, or even eaten right out of their casing. Check out this recipe on how to turn these hearty little beans into a delicious pesto for pasta or for spreading!
You will need:
• 8oz of Fava Beans, deshelled and skin removed
• 1/2 Clove of Garlic
• 5 Mint Leafs
• 3 Tablespoons of Pecorino Cheese
• 2 Tablespoons of Parmigiano Cheese
• 5 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Salt & Black Pepper
- Start by adding the garlic cloves and fava beans into a blender and blend at a low setting.
- Add in the mint leaves, Pecorino cheese and Parmigiano cheese and blend once again on a low setting until everything is broken down and mixed together.
- The last step is to add extra virgin olive oil along with some salt and black pepper to your liking. Mix everything for the last time until you get a creamy paste consistency and your pesto di fave is ready to enjoy!
TIP: If adding this pesto to your favourite pasta, try topping it with some crisp pieces of pancetta for an extra savoury flavour.