San Giuseppe isn’t always about zeppole. In Calabria, this Cicerata di San Giuseppe are also enjoyed around this time of year. Check out this sweet shortbread ravioli recipe below.
Ingredients for Dough:
- 270g of Flour
- 40g of Sugar
- 2 Eggs (1 for brushing)
- 40g of Butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 Glass of Sweet White Wine
- Oil for Frying
Ingredients for Filling:
- 250g of Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 Tsp of Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tsps of Honey
- Start by preparing the filling by mixing the chickpeas, honey and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Set the filling aside and in another bowl put the flour, sugar, egg, butter and wine.
- Knead the ingredients together with your hands until you get a dough like texture.
- Let the dough set for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out using a rolling pin.
- Create circles into the dough with a cutter or glass.
- Place the chickpea cream inside of each circle.
- Brush the edges of the ravioli with the whisked egg and fold in half.
- Push the sides down of each formed ravioli with a fork to make sure it is closed around the edges.
- Fry the ravioli for 5-8 minutes (depending on how big they are).
- Strain them from the oil and they are ready to serve!
You can totally switch up the filling with whatever type of cream you like. Let us know in the comments below if you try this recipe out!
Main Photo and Recipe by Spaghetti al Sugo