These crispy fried polenta bites make a yummy snack or appetizer! They are covered in Parmigiano-Reggiano, chives and they are also gluten free! They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months as well. I like to dip them in tomato sauce or creamy goat cheese but they are delicious plain also.
- 1 cup polenta corn grits
- 4 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt + more for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano + 1/4 cup for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- In a sauce pot, cook polenta according to brand instructions (incorporating the butter and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano).
- Spread cooked polenta in an oiled, rimmed baking sheet and smooth out. Let cool in the fridge for atleast 3 hours but no longer than 3 days.
- Slice polenta into 1 1/2 inch x 1 1/2 inch squares.
- Pour corn starch into a bowl and toss polenta squares (about 10 at a time) until they have a light coating of corn starch.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan or dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add polenta bites and cook until light golden brown. Do not crowd the frying pan, only add a few at a time.
- Place fried polenta in a bowl lined with paper towels and toss with salt. Garnish with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and chives.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauce!