Ricotta is an incredibly versatile cheese and it is very simple to make! There is nothing like fresh homemade ricotta cheese in pasta, cannoli, manicotti and more! Try this easy 4-ingredient recipe at home – it only takes about 30 minutes to make a fresh batch! This recipe yields about 1 cup of fresh ricotta cheese. Comment below to let us know what you made with it.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or distilled white vinegar
- Cheese cloth for straining
- In a pot or saucepan, bring milk, cream and salt to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice (or vinegar) and stir until mixture begins to curdle.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Add 2 layers of cheese cloth to a fine mesh strainer and rest over a bowl.
- Pour mixture into the strainer and let drain for 20 minutes or up to 8 hours. Note: The longer you let the cheese drain, the thicker it will be!
- Store in a closed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.