When it comes time for dessert, I usually grab another glass of vino instead of opting for coffee or espresso! These wine and anise cookies are the perfect pairing with either for dessert. My Nonna made them with whatever wine was leftover (if there was wine leftover) and topped them with sugar. Red wine will make beautiful purple cookies while white wine will make golden cookies.
- 1 cup sugar + 1/4 cup sugar for garnish
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white or red wine
- 2 tsp aniseed, crushed
- Sea salt
- 4 cups AP flour
- In a bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, wine, aniseed and salt until well incorporated.
- Stir in a little flour at a time until you form a soft dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough and shape into a 6 inch rope.
- Shape each rope into a ring and dip the top of the dough ring in sugar.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on cooling rack until ready to serve.