I’m honestly not sure whether to call this rollatini or involtini; both involve rolled stuffed eggplant with some minor discrepancies. I’ve researched and researched but haven’t found a clear cut difference, so if you can tell me, please comment below! Regardless, this is so good that I ate it for breakfast! This recipe serves 4 people.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into thin, 1/4 inch thick strips
- 1/4 lb Prosciutto di Parma
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Drizzle eggplant slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill each side until slightly charred and tender. Set aside and let cool.
- When eggplant are cool enough to handle, lay flat and add a layer of prosciutto on top.
4. Cut mozzarella into strips and add a strip perpendicular to the eggplant/prosciutto and roll.
5. Drizzle olive oil into the bottom of a dutch oven or baking dish and arrange eggplant rolls.
6. Pour tomato sauce over rolls; sprinkle minced garlic cloves, breadcrumbs, a pinch of salt, a few slices of mozzarella and parmigiano on top.
7. Bake covered in the oven for 45 minutes. After baking, remove top and broil until cheese is browned and bubbly.
8. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!