Frank Pinello owns Best Pizza in Brooklyn and is the host of The Pizza Show on Vice’s Munchies channel. Watch him and his Nonna make perfectly cooked chicken cutlets together! The recipe below is based on my notes from the video and my own attempt at making them – which turned out amazing. Play around with the lemon dressing; the olive oil to lemon juice ratio is tricky! Keep taste testing until you have a balanced dressing. The baking time varies as well so make sure you keep on eye on the cutlets! Enjoy!
- 8 skinless chicken cutlets, sliced thin
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3-4 lemons for juicing
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- Oregano to taste
- 1 cup AP flour
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen parsley + more
- Olive oil
- Brine: 1 gallon of water, 3/4 cups coarse salt
- Make a brine for your chicken cutlets by mixing salt in water (1 gallon of water to 3/4 cup coarse salt). Put cutlets in the brine and refrigerate covered for 1 hour. Rinse the cutlets twice, replacing with fresh salt water each time and then rinse with plain water in a strainer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl and add a spoonful or two of Parmigiano, stir to combine.
- Prepare your breadcrumbs in a bowl and add flour, black pepper, parsley and some Parmigiano. Combine ingredients and then pour some of the mixture onto a plate for breading.
- Drizzle a deep baking dish (hotel pan) with olive oil.
- Drench cutlets in the egg wash.
- Take each cutlet one at a time and coat each side with breadcrumb mixture.
- Place breaded cutlets in the baking pan side by side and drizzle with more olive oil.
- Increase temperature of the oven to 450 degrees before putting cutlets in the middle of the oven.
- Bake 8-10 minutes and check the bottom, they should be golden brown and fried, once they are, flip over and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until golden and fried (watch the video for this one).
- While the cutlets are baking, prepare lemon dressing by juicing lemons. Add juice to a bowl with some olive oil, 2 gloves of garlic sliced, 1/2 cup of rough chopped parsley, black pepper and oregano to taste.
- Remove cutlets from the oven and immediately dip them into the lemon dressing, one at a time and plate them on a serving dish.
- Drizzle more of the lemon dressing over the cutlets and serve hot!