This cannoli ice cream pie recipe by The Sicilian Girl is absolutely divine and requires zero baking. The chocolate crust is a delicious replacement for chocolate chips and pistacchio bits are the perfect crunchy garnish. Tip: Let the pie sit out for about 10 minutes before serving for the best consistency!
- 36 Chocolate cookie wafers, finely crushed
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Cups whole milk ricotta
- 6 Tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons candied citrus peel, finely chopped (lemon, orange or citron/use one or all three)
- 2 Pints vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 Tablespoons pistachios, chopped
- Using a food processor, crush the chocolate wafers and transfer to a 9-inch freezer-proof (I use a glass Pyrex) pie dish.
- Add the melted butter and mix with a fork and then evenly press (I use my hands) into the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Set in the freezer to firm up while you make the filling.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the ricotta with the confectioners sugar for 2 minutes and then add the cinnamon and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the candied peel until mixed in.
- Fold in the softened ice cream and stir until thoroughly combined. Spoon into the pie dish and return to the freezer until firm.
- Before serving, remove from freezer 10 minutes or so (until the pie cuts easily).
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and slice into generous portions! Tastes best when it begins to soften.