This simple cannoli ice cream recipe is made with fresh ricotta cheese. I used my homemade fresh ricotta recipe for this ice cream and it turned out sooo good (link below). I also crumbled up cannoli shells and mixed them in for my own version of Ben & Jerry’s (except better)! The flavor is so pure and real, you’ll want to make this all the time! Original recipe by Cooking Divine.
- 15 Oz Ricotta (use this fresh homemade ricotta recipe to make it extra delicious)
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Inverted Sugar (or sub extra ¼ cup sugar)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- ⅛ Teaspoon Fresh Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¾ Cup Chocolate Chips
- Set aside 1 cup heavy cream in a bowl over an ice bath.
- In a medium saucepan heat the ricotta, salt, milk, sugar and inverted sugar until everything is melted together.
- Pour the heated mixture through a fine strainer into the cold bowl of cream over the ice bath.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight.
- Pour cold mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze to manufacturers instructions.
- Add chocolate chips to churning ice cream 5 minutes before it finishes.