These Italian sausage stuffed artichokes are topped with fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and breadcrumbs. I love this dish served with a side of simple pasta in tomato sauce. Cleaning out artichokes can be tedious but once you get it down, it’s so easy!
- 2 artichokes
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage without casing
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salted water, chicken stock or vegetable stock (enough to fill bottom inch or so of a stock pot)
- Thoroughly rinse your artichokes and soak in cold water for 30 minutes. Afterwards, drain upside down.
- Cut off the stalk so they are able to stand, the top inch or so of the artichoke petals straight across and use scissors to snip off the tips of each petal. Clean out and remove the center of the artichokes and the hairy parts.
- Using a spoon, spread apart the petals to make room for stuffing. Squeeze lemon juice into the crevices. Set aside.
4. Cook off Italian sausage. Once cooked, take a spoon and insert the sausage into each petal and the crevices of the artichokes until you’ve filled the entire artichoke.
5. Cover artichokes with breadcrumbs, salt and black pepper and Parmigiano.
6. Gently place artichokes into a large stock pot, making sure they are able to stand without falling over.
7. Fill the bottom inch or two with either water, chicken stock or vegetable stock. Heat over the stove on medium and cover the stock pot. Let steam for 45 minutes.
8. Garnish with red pepper flakes and serve stuffed artichokes as a side with simple pasta or crusty bread and enjoy!