This moist, chocolatey amaretti cake is layered with lady fingers and topped with delicious chocolate sauce! Prepare it ahead of time and make the chocolate sauce when you are ready to serve. Serves 6.
For the cake:
- 2/3 cup amaretti cookies
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons Frangelico
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 eggs, separated
- 8 lady fingers
For the chocolate sauce:
- 1 3/4 cup dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- In a food processor, blend amaretti cookies and chocolate until you have powder consistency. Add cocoa powder and Frangelico, stir to combine and set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter in a stand mixer until creamed, add egg yolks one at a time. When all yolks are added, add amaretti powder and mix well until combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until you have stiff peaks. Fold egg whites into mixture.
- Line a 9×4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Split lady fingers in half and dip in the Frangelico. Line the bottom of the pan with the lady fingers.
- Next layer the pan with chocolate mixture. Cover the top with the remaining lady fingers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- To make the chocolate sauce to serve, make a double boiler by placing a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. Stir chocolate and butter until they are melted.
6. Unwrap cake and flip over upside, removing parchment paper.
- Slice, drizzle with chocolate sauce and serve!