Octopus is one of my favorite types of seafood! I love braising it in tomato sauce until it’s tender; it flavors the sauce and makes for a great pasta dish! I used garden fresh produce in this recipe along with some grilled baby octopus from my local fish market. This is an all day sauce recipe so it’s perfect for Sunday dinner. I served this lots of with bread for scrapetta!
- 1 lb baby octopus
- Garden produce such as tomatoes, zucchini or bell peppers as needed, rough chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 – 28 oz cans of crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- Olive oil as needed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Cento Extra Hot Calabrese Peperoncino or red pepper flakes
- 8 oz Bucatini per person
- To start, grill baby octopus until lightly charred. Set aside.
- In a deep pan or dutch oven, saute garlic and onions in olive oil until translucent. Add chopped vegetables and stir, saute over medium heat until slightly tender. Do not allow garlic to burn.
- Add baby octopus and canned tomatoes. Stir to combine. Add salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes or Calabrian pepper and stir. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for several hours, stirring occasionally.
- When you are close to serving, cook bucatini until al dente. Add bucatini to the sauce and stir. Serve with crusty bread and wine!