I love a classic linguine alle vongole, it’s incredibly simple and delicious. For this recipe, I added some smokey pancetta and tomatoes and I love how these ingredients compliment the clams. The key to a great linguine alle vongole is to get super fresh clams which you can find at a local fish market. If you don’t have access to a local fish market, canned clams are okay, just not preferred. Enjoy this dish with a class of white wine!
- 1 lb linguine pasta
- 2 lbs fresh manila or littleneck clams
- 5 oz pancetta, diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced (Roma or San Marzano)
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced thin
- Splash of white wine
- Olive oil as needed
- Kosher salt as needed
- Red pepper flakes as needed
- Bring a pot of salted water up to a boil and cook the linguine until al dente. Reserve a cup of the pasta water before draining. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute pancetta in a pan until cooked and crispy, set aside on a plate lined with paper towels. Next, cook the garlic in the same pan with the pancetta fat until lightly golden and fragrant. Add wine and then the clams.
- Cover pan and cook over medium-high heat until clams open (about 5 minutes).
- Add linguine to the saute pan along with a splash of pasta water, the pancetta, the tomatoes, red pepper flakes and parsley. Mix with a wooden spoon or toss until combined. Salt to taste.
- Enjoy this dish with a glass of white wine!