I love incorporating pumpkin into my fall recipes and these pumpkin cream filled zeppole are to die for! This sweet treat is easy to make and only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. This recipe makes about 25-30 zeppole.
For the zeppole:
- 1 cup ap flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the pumpkin cream:
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese at room temp
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup powdered sugar + more for dusting
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice (you can make your own by mixing 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves)
- To make the zeppole, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a sauce pan. Stir in eggs, ricotta and vanilla. Mix slowly over low heat until combined. Batter will be sticky!
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a separate pan or dutch oven for deep frying. Once hot enough (about 375 F), drop spoonfuls of the zeppole batter into the fryer oil. Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook until golden brown on each side (3-4 minutes). Let zeppole cool on a wire rack lined with paper towels.
- While the zeppole cool, make the pumpkin cream. In a bowl using a hand or stand mixer, beat together the mascarpone, pumpkin puree, powdered sugar and pumpkin spice until smooth and creamy. Place in a piping bag or ziplock bag with a corner cut out.
- Slice cooled zeppole in half and pipe the pumpkin cream into them. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.