This 5-ingredient apple crostata with homemade vanilla gelato is the most comforting dessert! It’s one of my favorite fall recipes that I like to make after going apple picking. Using real vanilla bean and real vanilla extract makes this gelato so delicious and really compliments the crostata. You will need an ice cream machine to make the gelato which you can find for under $100 here. Don’t let making gelato intimidate you! It’s incredibly simple and worth it!
For the crostata:
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 2 apples, skin and core removed, sliced 1/4 inch thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from a lemon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the gelato:
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks + 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- To start, you’ll want to make the gelato ahead of time. Slice the vanilla bean down the center and scrape out the seeds. Put them in a saucepan with the milk, vanilla bean, and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer but do not boil.
- In a bowl using a hand or stand mixer, beat the egg yolks, egg and sugar together until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the milk from heat and slowly pour the egg and sugar mixture in with the milk, whisking slowly but constantly. Return to low heat and continue whisking until it thickens. Do not let it boil but just barely simmer.
- Remove vanilla bean and transfer mixture to a bowl. Whisk in the cream until combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Transfer to an ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Store in a covered container in the freezer and begin making the apple crostata.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly greased baking sheet and fold over about 1/2-1 inch of the edges to create a crust. Brush the dough with milk and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together. Add the sliced apples, lemon juice and melted butter and fold to combine and coat the apples.
- Line the pastry dough with the apples and pour the remaining butter/sugar mixture over the apples.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with a scoop of the vanilla gelato on top!