Pepper and egg sandwiches are a popular Italian American dish and one of my favorite breakfasts! I have a ton of Melrose peppers leftover and decided to try Melrose peppers and eggs (which is so Chicago)! I sauteed the peppers with shallots and added lots of garlic and Parmigiano. This is a delicious treat with or without bread!
- 6 Melrose peppers, stems and seeds removed
- 6 eggs
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano + more for garnish
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Optional: Ciabatta or french bread, toasted
- In a pan, saute shallot and peppers in olive oil until browned and tender. Salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and pour Parmigiano into the mixture.
- In a pan, scramble the eggs in olive oil with the garlic and fold in peppers while the eggs are still wet.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with more Parmigiano. Serve on bread to make a sandwich or alone for an amazing breakfast!