If you haven’t noticed, I am obsessed with mortadella-ricotta-pistachio recipes! I also have 10 lbs of mortadella in my fridge so I’ve been using it as many ways as possible! This Rotolo recipe is quick and easy and there are so many combinations to try! You could do sausage, prosciutto, soppressata, mozzarella, etc. I love the crunch of pistachios and the creaminess from the ricotta. These flavors work so well together! You can make this recipe even easier for yourself by purchasing pizza dough at your local grocer or pizzeria or you can make your own with my recipe below. Serve this as an appetizer or as dinner with a side salad and some vino!
- Pizza dough (try this recipe here) or purchase pizza dough from your local pizza shop
- Sliced mortadella as needed
- Ricotta as needed
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios, crushed
- Kosher salt to taste
- Parmigiano to taste
- Tomato puree and crushed tomatoes as needed to make a sauce
- Olive oil as needed
- AP flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pizza dough into a long rectangle. Make sure the long side is parallel to you.
- Drizzle top with olive oil and spread a layer of ricotta. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and generous amount of crushed pistachios. Add a layer of mortadella on top of the ricotta.
- Roll the pizza dough away from you and tuck in the ends, forming a log.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with olive oil and sprinkle salt and black pepper.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the dough has turned golden brown and is cooked all the way through.
- Meanwhile, prepare a tomato sauce on the stove using crushed tomatoes and tomato puree. Add salt to taste and let simmer until rotolo is ready.
- Remove from the oven and slice roll. Garnish with more crushed pistachios and Parmigiano. Pour sauce over or use as a dip!