This simple pasta dish is one of my favorites! Italian sausage and fire-roasted tomatoes are a great combination of smokey and peppery flavors. I love adding chunks of burrata or mozzarella to balance the heat and add some creaminess to the dish. This meal pairs well with a Sangiovese wine, salad and crusty bread!
- 3/4 lb Orecchiette pasta
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (spicy or mild)
- 1/2 cup fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup ciliegine mozzarella or burrata
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil as needed
- In a pan with a little olive oil, cook the Italian sausage all the way through. Add the garlic and tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and let simmer until the pasta is ready.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of salted, boiling water, cook the orecchiette until al dente. Reserve a cup of pasta water before draining.
- Add the sausage to the drained pasta with a splash of pasta water and stir or toss to incorporate.
- Garnish with the mozzarella and serve with bread and Sangiovese wine!