This pasta e fagioli is one of my favorite dishes! I like to make mine creamy with a touch of heat and texture so I added roasted almonds, chili oil and grated Parmigiano. This is sort of an almond pesto meets creamy bean sauce and together they make a wonderful dish! If you’re not into heat, you can substitute the chili oil for olive oil. Serve this dish with a Pinot Bianco or Italian Chardonnay! Serves 2-3 people.
- 3/4 lb ditalini pasta
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmgiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup roasted nuts (such as almonds, cashews or walnuts)
- 1/4 cup chili oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil as needed
- In a pot of salted, boiling water, cook ditalini until al dente. Reserve a cup of pasta water before draining.
- In a pan, add cannellini beans with a little olive oil. Let simmer.
- Using a food processor, pulse the nuts, garlic, cheese and chili oil until coarse in texture.
Note: Some larger bits of the nuts will add a nice crunch and texture to your pasta. If you want them smoother, keep blending but do not let it get pasty.
- Add the nut mixture to the cannellini beans and stir to combine. Smash some of the cannellini beans using a wooden spoon to make the mixture creamy. Note: You can also add this back into the food processor and blend to make it smoother.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cannellini beans with a splash of pasta water and toss or stir to combine. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with a Pinot Bianco or Italian Chardonnay.